Steve George's Stuff
CPTEC (Centro de Previsão de Tempo e Estudos Climáticos, Brasil)
CGAM (University of Reading, UK)
MSSL (University College London, UK)
Recent CV PDF
I'm part of the atmospheric research group
in the Department of Physics and Astronomy (University of Canterbury, NZ). Part of my work involves running the the SOCOL
Chemistry-Climate Model (CCM) on the University of Canterbury supercomputer. I'm in the process of replacing the model's native non-orographic
gravity scheme with one that (hopefully) performs better (i.e., one that kicks of a realistic QBO).
I also have an admiration for (at first glance) simple energy-balance-models (which can lead to such ideas as the biological homeostatis of
Daisy World [pdf]).
I sometimes escape from the computer terminal, and then get to fiddle with the group's middle
atmosphere radar facilities at Birdlings Flat (near Christchurch) and Scott Base
(Antarctica). More pics of the latter here.
Steve George | email@example.com
- N. C. Krützmann, A. J. McDonald, and S. E. George (2008), Quantitative Identification of Mixing Barriers in Chemistry-Climate-Model Simulations using Renyi Entropy, submitted to GRL.
- S. E. George, and R. T. Sutton (2008), A new methodology for investigating the impact of ocean anomalies on seasonal climate forecasts, and application to the North Atlantic, submitted to Climate Dynamics.
- K. P. Monahan, L. L. Pan, A. J. McDonald, G. E. Bodeker, J. Wei, S. E. George, C. D. Barnet, and E. Maddy (2007), Validation of AIRS v4 ozone profiles in the UTLS using ozonesondes from
Lauder, NZ and Boulder, USA, J. Geophys. Res., 112, D17304, doi:10.1029/2006JD008181.
- George and McDonald (2007), Modelling the effects of an active QBO in the SOCOL chemistry-climate-model. CCMVal workshop, Leeds, UK PDF.
- Krutzmann, McDonald and George (2007), Can statistical entropy measures be used to quantify mixing in the Antarctic atmosphere?, Annual Antarctic Conference, Wellington, NZ PDF
- A. J. McDonald, A. J. G. Baumgaertner, G. J. Fraser, S. E. George, and S. Marsh (2007), Empirical Mode Decomposition of the atmospheric wave field, Annales Geophysicae, 25, 375-384.
- S. E. George, and R. T. Sutton (2006), Predictability and skill of boreal winter forecasts made with the ECMWF Seasonal Forecasting System II, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc.,132, pp. 2031-2053.
- George and McDonald (2006). Modelling the effects of a realistic QBO on Antarctic ozone variability. Antarctic Conference, Wellington (poster) PDF.
- McDonald, George, Baumgaertner and Fraser (2006). Application of the Empirical Mode Decomposition Technique to Scott Base MF Radar Data. Antarctic Conference, Wellington (poster) PDF.
- George, S. E. (2006).United Kingdom Windspeed: Measurement, Climatology, Predictability and Link to Tropical Atlantic Variability. Phd Thesis, University of London PDF.
Last Updated : Fri Apr 11 17:48:54 NZST 2008